This Vegan Parmesan Covered Zucchini and Onion recipe makes a great side dish for those upcoming holiday gatherings, and/or the potential overloads of zucchini and squash from this season’s harvest. Try swapping out other squash varieties to add your own twist. Another good optional addition to vegan holiday recipe is fresh garlic. Not only can you use Vegan Parmesan as a side dish, you can use it as a topping for salads and rice, noodle, and grain dishes. Also try this mixture on veggie wraps, pockets, subs, and sandwiches, too!
Did you know that Zucchini contains moderate levels of B-complex vitamins like thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin? Plus, it has minerals like iron, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc. (2) Zucchini are rich in flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants such ascarotenes, lutein, and zea-xanthin. Compounds like these help scavenge harmful oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species from the body that play an important role in aging process. (2)
- 1 Small Zucchini, Sliced
- 1/2 Small Sweet Onion, Diced
- Raw Vegan Homemade Pine Nut Parmesan (1)
- Put sliced zucchini and diced onion into a ‘frying pan’ on Medium Heat on stove-top, stirring frequently.
- Use the juices of the onion and/or water if needed for a oil-free version. Add a drizzle of oil of your choice for a crispier version if you are not oil-free. Regardless, stir frequently for 3 to 5 minutes until desired consistency is reached.
- Top with Pine Nut Parmesan.
- Serve warm. Cold leftovers may hit-the-spot, too!