I use chaga tea to substitute beef broth in this simple vegetable soup recipe. It’s a vegan soup that will warm and nurture you during the colder months. The rich color and flavor of chaga is adaptable to either savory or sweet recipes. The combination of chaga and coconut oil makes a great beef broth replacement.
This way, you are not only avoiding animal products, but also adding in really special medicinal benefits to the recipe. Read more about the benefits of chaga below and make this recipe ASAP!
Serving size: Makes 2 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup medium chopped red potatoes
- 1 tsp salt (or more, to taste)
- 2.5 cups chaga tea (chaga mushroom and water – instructions below)
- 1.25 cup broccoli florets
- Make chaga tea in a crock-pot or in a pot on the stovetop. I recommend making a big batch and storing the extra in the fridge for other recipes. You will need 2 quarts of water and 2 tbsp of chaga granules (or an equivalent size chunk). For stovetop: bring water to a boil and add chaga; cover and reduce heat to simmer for 1 – 8 hours. The longer you simmer, the stronger it will be. For crock-pot: turn crock on high, add water, and chaga; cover with lid. After two hours, turn to low heat and keep covered for another 1 – 6 hours. Tea will be a dark brown to black in color.
- Strain tea and use chaga to make another batch. The second batch will be weaker, so I usually use half the water. Set 2.5 cups of the chaga tea to the side for the soup.
- On the stove, heat a large pot to medium heat.
- Add coconut oil, onion, and garlic. Stir. Cook covered, for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrots, celery, and potatoes. Cook covered, for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and chaga tea. Cover and let cook for 15 – 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Take pot off the heat and add broccoli. The hot soup will cook the broccoli in only a couple of minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Benefits of main ingredients
Chaga, a woody medicinal mushroom, is known for it’s imuno-modulating properties. It’s super high in antioxidants, superoxide dismutase, trace minerals and amino acids. Its effects on the body include: cell regeneration, immune protection and enhancement, DNA protection, stabilizes blood sugar, hormone balancing, improves digestion, slows down aging processes, supports heart health, and much more. (1)
Coconut oil is considered a superfood and for good reason. Its unique fatty acids are metabolized differently and can help aid weight loss by providing energy and reducing hunger. It also has a positive effect on brain disorders such as epilepsy and Alzheimer’s. It’s also been shown to prevent infections and kill harmful pathogens in the body. Good for heart health; coconut oil can improve cholesterol levels and decrease your chances of heart disease. (2)
Broccoli is a great source of fiber and has anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification properties. It can also benefit your heart, bones, cholesterol levels, and alkalizes the body. (3)
Sources for this article include: