While on one of my many dehydrating kicks, I tinkered with these raw vegan pepperoni slices. They turned out quite tasty! For a saltier flavor, try using salted sun dried tomatoes instead of the unsalted, or you could add a few drops of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or Coconut Aminos while blending.
Alongside this recipe for raw vegan pepperoni, you will see additional information on how tomatoes can help fight depression. Be sure to take a look!
This Raw Vegan Pepperoni Uses a Tomato Base and May Help Fight Depression
Yield: Makes between 20 and 30 slices | Prep: | Process/Cook: | Ready In:
These little round slices make a convenient snack, a fun topping for a raw pizza, or even an addition to salads, subs/sandwiches, pitas, and pockets! Enjoy!
Kitchen Tools / Equipment Needed:
Ingredients / Grocery List:
- 8 (unsalted) sun dried tomatoes , soaked
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 T Minced Garlic
- 2 T flax seeds , ground to a meal
- 1 T hemp seed oil
Instructions / Directions / Method:
- Put all ingredients into a blender until smooth.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop mixture and lay onto dehydrator sheets.
- Set dehydrator at 115 for 8 to 10 hours checking half way through to flip and flatten with a spoon.
- Continue drying until crispy.
Alternatives / Replacements:
- Use sea salt if needed/wanted.
- Sprinkle a bit more of the ground flax on top prior to drying and/or while flipping.
How tomatoes help fight depression
Did you know that the folic acid in tomatoes may help those suffering from depression? (1) The folic acid in tomatoes prevents excess homocysteine from forming in the body, preventing blood and other nutrients from reaching the brain. (1) Excess homocysteine interferes with the production of ‘mood enhancing’ hormones such as serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. These hormones regulate not only mood, but sleep and appetite in the body, too. (1)
Sources for this article include:
Inspired by: blissfulyogajourney.blogspot.com