In case you haven’t heard, the vegan lifestyle appears to be trending in celebrity life. Recently, Kanye West and Kim Kardashian opted for a vegan dinner at a small restaurant, Woodland’s Bistro, in Washington DC while the rest of the crew feasted on heavy meal of meat and potatoes food at Joe’s Seafood and Prime Steak & Stone Crab. (1)
Also, Beyoncé teamed up with 22 Day Nutrition Meal-Delivery Service in order to help others to include more plant based foods into their diet. And in fact, Jennifer Lopez credits a vegan diet to help her lose the last ten pounds. (2)
Eat more plants to take control of your health
Statistics show that nearly 70% of American adults are overweight or obese, which leads to a wide array of health problems such as diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. This trend is becoming a problem among every class and age across all 50 states. (3)
The good news is that research continues to show that people who opt for a plant-based lifestyle – vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, and seeds – are the healthiest, and stay at the optimal weight more easily than the rest of the planet.
A new study published in The Journal of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics concluded that the more plants people eat increases the fiber consumed, which translates into more weight loss. (4) With this approach you really don’t need to worry about counting calories because you naturally eat less due to food satiety. (5)
Patients prescribed to a plant-based diet
Some medical organizations are beginning to recognize the importance of a plant-based diet to help patients improve their health. Supporters of this lifestyle include: Kaiser Permanente health care company, vegan cardiologist and president of the American College of Cardiology Dr. Kim Williams, Dr. James Loomis at St. Luke’s Hospital in St. Louis, and Dr. Garth at the Memorial Herman Hospital in Houston.
About two months ago, the city of Little Rock, Arkansas signed a proclamation to bring the plant-based approach to the masses. (6) And more recently, a small town mayor in Marshall, Texas adopted a vegan lifestyle and encouraged the whole town to follow suit.
One baby step at a time
Changing a behavior is difficult, but not impossible. It simply requires willingness, commitment, planning, and discipline. Here are some tips on how you can make the transition successfully:
- Seek out for plant-based diet books. This is a good option for those who do not know where to begin and want delicious meals. The biggest misconception is that plant-based foods are bland and lack protein – this is simply not true.
- Learn how to shop, cook, and stock up your pantry. Having food on hand is always helpful. Seek out family and friends who follow this lifestyle for advice, attend to local seminars/workshops, hire an expert to walk you through, or join Matt Monarch’s Live hangout for community support.
- Find the time. Time is a huge factor for many people, so find a day or two during the week to do all the pre-prep or cooking to stock up enough food for the week.
- Experiment with different foods. If you’re not ready to embrace the plant-based lifestyle 100%, then introducing new foods and eliminating non-plant based foods is a good way to go. You’d be surprised how delicious plant-based food can be!
- Eat as much as you desire. Naturally, eating more plant-based foods will help you be more satisfied, but remember this is not a ‘diet;’ it’s a lifestyle and one to be enjoyed.
- Know the difference between plant-based and vegan. Plant-based focuses on whole foods, while vegan is similar but has plenty of ‘junk’ food options on the market. Opt for the whole-foods approach.
Adopting a plant-based lifestyle does not have to be boring. Have fun with yourself, enjoy the foods you’re experimenting with, and get healthy one step at a time!
Image source: flic.kr