Kick back to those youthful campfire nights with ooey gooey s’mores. I’m drooling and smiling thinking back on those memories. It is fascinating how we can connect specific foods with past experiences and how it can shift our whole current presence in the moment.
So, what would you say if I told you that you could have your s’mores and eat them too? Well, you can with this guilt-free, health-boosting Paleo version!
Maca powder increases stamina, energy, sexual function, menopausal mood and fertility
I included maca in this s’mores recipe because I like to try to add a teaspoon here or a tablespoon there throughout my day to experience the vast benefits maca has to offer us. Maca is a root plant, which has been used to increase stamina, energy, sexual function, menopausal mood and fertility. There are different colors of maca including red, black and yellow. (1)
Black maca powder increases sperm count
Black maca is known to increase sperm count more so than red or yellow maca. (1) I used the black maca for this recipe, however, you could substitute any color of maca powder.
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/8 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. local raw honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. black maca powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 can full-fat coconut cream milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 Tbsp. of your favorite sweetener such as local raw honey, pure maple syrup, or agave
- 1 – 3.5 ounce organic dark chocolate bar
- In a large mixing bowl blend almond butter, water, honey, vanilla and shredded coconut with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined into a dough-like texture.
- Add egg, baking soda, maca and cinnamon to the bowl. Mix again with electric mixer to incorporate completely.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with coconut oil spray.
- Pour dough into greased baking dish and press down evenly with your fingers.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 20 minutes.
- Let bars cool completely on countertop and then refrigerate if not serving right away.
- Cut bars into squares and set on a serving platter.
- Remove can of coconut cream from refrigerator. Open can and then place the solid contents into a mixing bowl and discard any liquid on the bottom of the can (use the liquid in smoothies). Add your favorite sweetener to the solid coconut cream (it is good without the sweetener too) and beat with your electric mixer whipping attachment until it appears as a whipped cream texture. It takes approximately 2 minutes of whipping time to achieve desired texture.
- Melt dark chocolate bar in double broiler until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle the melted dark chocolate over the bars on the serving platter and then dollop with whipped coconut cream.
Sources for this article include:
Recipe inspired by: existentialevolution.com