I meet a lot of people who love potato products, but store or restaurant bought chips and fries are extremely unhealthy. We rarely eat potatoes in this house but this is my favorite way to prepare them when we do. We buy organic and leave the skins on. I season them with nutritious spices and oven roast them in olive or coconut oil. These potatoes have the perfect crunch on the outside and are creamy inside.
- 6 medium size red skin potatoes, scrubbed and wedged with skins on
- 4 tbsp. olive or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. sweet yellow curry powder ( mix of turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger, nutmeg, fennel, cinnamon, fenugreek, white pepper, arrowroot, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, and red pepper)
- 1 tsp. chili flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat pan of water to boiling, add potatoes and parboil for 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in colander.
- Add spices and 2 tbsp. of oil and stir to coat.
- Allow potatoes to steam in the spices in colander for 5 minutes.
- Place two tablespoons of oil in oven safe dish and place in oven to heat.
- Add potatoes to hot oil and mix.
- Place in oven for 45 minutes and stir every 20 minutes.
Nutrition Benefits of this Recipe:
Turmeric works as an anti-inflammatory, helps with inflammatory bowel disease, relieves rheumatoid arthritis, helps with cystic fibrosis, and cancer prevention. (1)
Potatoes have been shown to have the ability to lower blood pressure, are high in Vitamin B-6, which helps increase serotonin production and increase brain activity. B-6 has also been shown to help athletic performance due to the ability to breakdown glycogen. (2)
Sources for this article include: