This recipe seriously tastes like squash casserole, but it’s raw and vegan! It’s magical and quite nutrient dense. The fresh herbs really make it pop! Pack this for a picnic, take it for your next potluck, share with loved ones or bring for lunch at work.
Herby Squash Ingredients:
- 1 cup zucchini, quartered and sliced thin
- 1 cup yellow squash, quartered and sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup onion, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp *fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 tsp *fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 tsp *fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup raw brazil nuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cover and let sit out for at least three hours to soften. Or you can use a dehydrator the speed up the process, but make sure it is covered so it doesn’t dry out.
- Make the breading by putting breading ingredients in food processor and process until it becomes a crumbly texture.
- Put the zucchini mixture on your serving dish and top with breading.
Benefits of main ingredients
Summer quash is a heart healthy food, partly due to it’s magnesium and potassium content. You also get a good dose of vitamins A & C, as well as beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant! (1)
Brazil nuts are high in selenium, which is a mineral that can help prevent several health problems including liver cirrhosis. They are also a healthy source of fatty acids that help lower bad cholesterol, contain vitamin E, copper and magnesium! (2)
Sources for this article include: